Valentine's Day is a special time to show your loved ones how much they mean to you. And one of the most popular ways to do that is with heart-shaped treats! If you want something a little more unique than the usual chocolates and sweets, why not try making some delicious homemade Valentine’s heart shaped chocolate covered pretzels?
Not only are these pretzels fun and festive for the holiday, but they’re also easy to make and sure to be a hit with friends and family alike. Read on for an easy step-by-step guide on how to make these tasty treats!
Ingredients Needed To Make the Chocolate Heart Pretzels
- 12 oz bag of Pretzels
- 3 oz pink candy melts
- 3 oz red candy melts
- 3 oz white candy melts
- Sprinkles (of your choice)
How to make the Valentine's Day Pretzels
- Melt each color of candy melts in individual bowls according to package instructions, or in the microwave in increments of 20 seconds.
- Carefully dip each pretzel in the melted candy. Or you can try using a spoon or fork to drizzle the melted candy over the pretzels in alternating colors.
- Sprinkle with desired sprinkles and let cool until set. You can put the decorated pretzels into the fridge for 30 minutes, or until the candy has hardened.
Recipe notes and tips:
While the recipe is straightforward, it is always nice to have a few different tips and suggestions to make things easier. So here are some of the recipe notes and tips to help you out:
- Use parchment paper or wax paper to line your baking sheet when cooling the decorations.
- You can also try using different shaped pretzels for a unique twist on the recipe.
- If you find that the candy melts are too thick, add a few drops of vegetable oil to thin it out.
- If desired, you can also try using food coloring to tint the candy melts.
- If you want an even sweeter taste, add some honey or maple syrup to the melted candy before dipping.
- For more decorative options, you can also use different types of sprinkles and confections for added color and texture.
- If you have any leftover candy canes from Christmas, you can crush these up and sprinkle over your pretzels to make candy cane pretzels.
- To store your finished pretzels, put them in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Variations to try:
Like with many recipes there will always be variations to try. Here are a few suggestions.
- Add melted white chocolate to your pretzel decorations and top with crushed nuts or dried fruits.
- Use different colors of candy melts to make colorful designs.
- Try using different shapes of sprinkles for a more decorative look.
- Experiment with dipping the pretzels in combinations of melted chocolate, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, and other candy melts.
- You can also add a layer of melted white chocolate to create a “white pretzel” look.
- Add some crushed cookies or cereal for an extra crunchy texture.
Valentine's Day Gift Idea
For a special Valentine's Day gift, package your homemade chocolate pretzels up in an airtight container or plastic bag and give them to family, friends or classmates. They'll be sure to appreciate your thoughtful gesture and delicious treats.
Like with any recipe, there are often questions that need answering. I thought I would share some of the common questions here, but if you have any comments or questions please don't hesitate to get in touch directly.
How do I store my pretzels?
To store your finished pretzels, put them in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. They can also be frozen for up to 2 months with minimal loss of quality.
Can I use different shaped pretzels?
Absolutely! Try using different shaped pretzels for a unique twist on the recipe.
What if my candy melts are too thick?
If you find that the candy melts are too thick, add a few drops of vegetable oil to thin it out. You can also try melting the candy in the microwave in increments of 20 seconds, stirring in between.
Can I use food coloring to tint the candy melts?
Yes, you can use food coloring to tint the candy melts for a more vibrant color. Just be sure to add only a small amount at first, as it is easy to over-tint the candy.
Can I store my pretzels in the freezer?
Yes, you can freeze your pretzels for up to 2 months. Just be sure to place them in an airtight container before freezing. Allow them to thaw at room temperature before serving.
Is it possible to make the pretzels without using sprinkles?
Yes, you can totally make the pretzels without using sprinkles. Just dip them in melted candy and let cool until set. You can even drizzle a contrasting color of melted candy over the pretzels for an interesting look.
Valentines Heart Pretzels are a fun and easy way to show your loved ones how much you care. With just a few ingredients, you can create these festive treats in no time at all!
Whether it’s for the kids or your sweetheart, this recipe will definitely be sure to put a smile on their faces. Plus, with so many variations available, there is something here for everyone! So grab some pretzels ,candy melts and sprinkles and get creative - Happy Valentine's Day!
More Fun Party Ideas:
Looking for some fun and festive ways to keep the kids entertained this Valentine's Day? Check out these printable Valentine's Day games that are perfect for all ages!
Test your knowledge of all things Valentine's with these fun Valentine's Day Trivia Questions. How well do you know the history of love and romance? What are some popular Valentines day traditions? Find out with these challenging questions.