Are you looking for an exciting new game to play with your family and friends? Have you ever played the game of the green glass door? This game has been around for centuries and is often used as an icebreaker to help facilitate conversation. It is a great way to pass the time, get your creative juices flowing, and most importantly, have fun.
The game is simple: each player takes turns in describing something, such as an animal or a place, that they think can pass through the green glass door.
This game can be played at a party, it is perfect for in the classroom, at a sleepover or as an icebreaker game. Keep reading as we will walk you through step-by-step how to play the green glass door game.
How To Play The Green Glass Door Game
The premise of this game is simple, each player must guess what items can or cannot pass through a mysterious green glass door. The only rule is that all players can have one guess at a time to find out what can and cannot pass through the door.
Here are some steps to follow when playing the green glass door game:
Step 1: Gather Your Players
This game is best played with 5 or more people but you can play with as few as 3 people. All players should sit in a circle so that everyone can see each other’s faces and take turns guessing.
Step 2: Set Up Your Rules
Before beginning the game, set up some basic rules.
- Players take turns guessing what items can pass through the mysterious green glass door.
- The 'doorkeeper' has the final say
- If you are denied entry you must wait for your next turn before you can guess again.
- If you guess correctly, you must not reveal the 'trick' so that the rest of the players can continue guessing.
Step 3: Start Guessing
Now it’s time for everyone to take turns guessing which items they think can or cannot pass through the mysterious green glass door.
To start the game choose one person to be the 'doorkeeper'. You can let the doorkeeper in on the secret of the game. The secret is that you can only let things through the green glass door if they have double letters, (consonants or vowels) in the word.
Here are some ideas on items that can pass through the green glass door (because they all have double letters in the word)
The doorkeeper starts by making a statement like
- I can bring a kitten through the green glass door but not a cat
- I can bring a tree through the green glass door but not a leaf
- I can bring apples through the green glass door but not bananas
- I can bring cheese through the green glass door but not milk
Then each player must try to guess what they can bring through the door by saying 'Can I bring a _____ through the green glass door?'
The doorkeeper will reply with either 'Yes you can bring a _____ through the green glass door' or 'No you can not bring that through the green glass door'
Each player should take turns one after another going around in a circle. When it gets back to the doorkeeper, they will make another statement about an item they can bring through the green glass door.
If you guess correctly what item you can take, you now become another doorkeeper and can help decide if the next item can or cannot pass through the green glass door. Keep playing until all of your players understand what items can and cannot pass through the mysterious green glass door.
Green Glass Door Riddle Ideas
If you are wanting to make this game more difficult, as the doorkeeper, you can use categories for your green glass door riddles to throw everyone off track.
Food Green Glass Door Statements
These statements many make players think it is only a type of food that can come through the door.
- I can bring a carrot through the green glass door but not a potato
- I can bring a berry through the green glass door but not an orange
- I can bring an egg through the green glass door but not bacon
- I can bring pizza through the green glass door but not a pie
Clothing Green Glass Door Statements
This might make the players believe it must be an item of clothing that can enter the green glass door.
- I can bring overalls through the green glass door but not jeans
- I can bring boots through the green glass door but not socks
- I can bring slippers through the green glass door but not a robe
Variations on the Green Glass Door Game
Once you have played this game and everyone now knows the game 'secret' you will need to change it up so you can play another round. Some fun ideas are;
Things that are alive
- I can bring a rabbit through the green glass door but not a pen
- I can bring a plant through the green glass door but not a rock
- I can bring a person through the green glass door but not a photo
Things that have 5 letters
- I can bring a phone through the green glass door but not a toaster
- I can bring an apple through the green glass door but not a flower
- I can bring a spoon through the green glass door but not a cup
By now you know everything there is to know about playing the green glass door game, so get out there and give it a try! This classic party favorite has been enjoyed by people of all ages since its inception decades ago; now it's your turn to join in on the fun by gathering your family members or friends together and spending quality time together while taking part in this timeless pastime! So don't wait - grab your loved ones today and start playing!
More Fun party Game Ideas:
Looking for a fun party game? This pinata party game is perfect for both kids and adults. It's easy to set up and provides hours of entertainment.
Bring the fun of trivia night to your next party with these true or false questions and answers. These games are perfect for a game night with friends, family, or coworkers. Who knows their stuff?