It’s no secret that staying active and engaged is important for everyone, especially the elderly. Fortunately, there are a variety of fun games that can keep seniors’ minds sharp while providing an enjoyable activity. From classic board games to more modern tech-based ones, there are many fun and entertaining ways to keep elderly people entertained.
Games for Seniors to Play
Games are a great way for seniors to stay socially connected and mentally active. Popular games like cards, board games, and even puzzles can help reduce stress while stimulating cognitive function.
With the recent advances in technology, there is no shortage of apps available on tablets and computers tailored specifically towards senior citizens. Games like Solitaire, Sudoku, Memory Matching Challenge, and Word Search Frenzy offer entertainment while exercising the brain with fun challenges.
Such games encourage seniors to remain socially engaged without having to leave their home. They also give family members an activity they can enjoy together when visiting an elderly relative.
(THIS POST CONTAINS SOME AFFILIATE LINKS FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE: READ MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY)
Board Games for Seniors
Board games are great for those who enjoy the traditional game-playing experience. Here are some classics that will challenge their minds while also providing a great opportunity for socialization.
- Monopoly - this game is a classic for a reason. Not only does it require strategy and critical thinking, but it also provides an excellent opportunity to practice money management skills.
- Scrabble - this beloved word game has been around for decades and is sure to challenge even the sharpest minds. It’s also a great way to help seniors improve their spelling and vocabulary.
- Chess - this game has been around for centuries and requires a great deal of strategy and problem solving. It’s perfect for those looking to tackle more serious challenges while exercising their brains.
- Trivial Pursuits - Who doesn't love a chance to show off their knowledge? The various editions of Trivial Pursuit offer thousands of questions that will keep seniors entertained and engaged for hours.
Card Games for Seniors
Card games are another popular option for those who enjoy a bit of friendly competition. There are popular card games will keep the elderly entertained and engaged.
- Bridge - This card game is a classic and requires some skill, as well as planning and strategy. For those who really enjoy the challenge, bridge provides an in-depth activity that will keep their minds sharp.
- Blackjack - This game requires basic arithmetic and counting skills to help create a winning hand. It’s easy enough to pick up while still providing a fun challenge.
- Poker - This game is perfect for those who like to take risks and strategize their moves. It also allows seniors to practice their negotiation skills while having a good time with family or friends.
- Uno/Skip-Bo - For something more contemporary try Uno or Skip-Bo. These modern games are easy enough for the elderly to learn, yet provide just enough of a challenge to keep them engaged.
Outdoor Games for Senior Citizens
For those seniors who prefer an active game-playing experience, there are several physical games to choose from.
- Croquet - This classic lawn game is great for seniors who can still get around and enjoy the outdoors. It requires some physical activity, but no strenuous exercise.
- Horseshoes - This outdoor game is perfect for those who may not be able to do more strenuous activities, as it doesn’t require a lot of movement or agility. Plus, it’s a great way to get some fresh air and enjoy the outdoors.
- Bocce Ball - This game is perfect for those looking to do something active while socializing with friends or family. It requires minimal movement but also provides an excellent opportunity to practice strategy and team work.
- Cornhole - This popular outdoor game is perfect for seniors who still want to enjoy the outdoors but don’t necessarily need an intense physical activity. It is a great way to get some fresh air and socialize with friends and family.
Computer Games for Seniors
For those who prefer tech-based games, there are plenty of options to choose from. Most computers come with pre-installed games such as solitaire and mahjong which are great for seniors who enjoy a bit of computer play. Or if you have access to the internet, there’s an endless amount of online games that can provide hours of entertainment.
Video Games for Seniors
Video games aren’t just for the young! If you want to take things up a notch in terms of entertainment value, consider video games. There are plenty of age-appropriate video games available online or on gaming consoles that can provide hours of entertainment as well as mental stimulation,without having to be too physically demanding.
For example, Wii Sports is an excellent choice; it provides a wide range of activities that require physical movement but aren't overly strenuous. Other popular titles include Mario Kart or Just Dance that can provide a great physical activity for elderly players.
Or if you prefer adventure-style gaming, try classic titles like The Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Brothers.
Mobile apps are a great way to keep elderly people engaged no matter where they go. Many apps offer simple puzzles or activities designed specifically for seniors that can help them improve their problem solving skills and memory retention while still being fun and entertaining.
Some popular app choices include Word Search Puzzle Free, Solitaire Classic Free, Mahjong Classic Elite - Free Mind Game, and Sudoku Free – Brain Game Puzzle.
Word Games for Seniors
For those who love word games, the classic favorites such as crosswords, hangman and Scrabble can provide hours of entertainment. Or if you want to be a bit more creative, try a word search or word scramble. Seniors will also enjoy a game of boggle
Playing games is an excellent way to keep seniors active both mentally and physically without putting too much strain on them. Whether they prefer classic board games or more modern mobile apps, there’s sure to be something out there that will appeal to them. So don’t hesitate—it's time to get the whole family involved in some exciting game time!
More Fun Party Games:
Throwing a retirement party for a loved one? These fun and unique retirement party ideas will make it an event to remember! From nostalgic activities to yummy food, we've got you covered. Let the good times roll!
Throw an epic 80th birthday party and make it unforgettable with these fun 80th birthday party games! From classic party games to new twists on old favorites, we've got you covered. So gather your friends and family, put on some music, and get ready to have a blast!