If you're a fan of vintage glamour, jazz, and all things Art Deco, then a Harlem Nights party is the perfect celebration. This theme will transport your guests back to the roaring 20s, to a time when flappers and gangsters roamed the streets.
Whether you're planning a birthday bash, a corporate event or an engagement party, a Harlem Nights party guarantees a night of elegance and fun that everyone will be talking about for years to come. Here are our top tips and ideas for creating a successful Harlem Nights party that is sure to impress.
Harlem Nights Theme Decor
There are many ways you can set the scene for your Harlem Nights party. Here are a few to get you started.
(THIS POST CONTAINS SOME AFFILIATE LINKS FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE: READ MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY)
- Use lots of black and gold decorations which are perfect for this theme.
- Hang streamers from the ceiling to create a 'curtain' for your guests to walk through as they enter the party.
- Hang plenty of black, white and gold balloons around the room to add to your party atmosphere.
- If the weather is nice, you could host your party outside with strings of twinkling lights, draped fabric and feathered decorations.
- Play some classic Jazz music to get everyone in the mood!
Harlem Nights Costume Ideas
When it comes to your guests' attire, encourage them to dress to the nines and show off their style.
- For Ladies: Think glamorous flapper dresses, fur shawls, long beads.
- For the Men: A good choice is Fedoras, suspenders, and wingtip shoes.
- For Couples: Get ready to channel your inner Gangster and Moll from the 1920s-1930s! The men can rock a sharp pinstripe suit ladies can top off their outfit with a flirty feathered boa for some ultimate Gatsby-inspired glamour.
It is also fun to set up a photo booth complete with vintage-inspired photo props like faux cigars, masquerade masks, and feather boas.
Harlem Nights Casino Theme
For an extra touch of class and sophistication, why not bring a casino theme to your party? Set up a few authentic-style blackjack tables or roulette wheels or play these fun casino party games. This activity will keep everyone entertained throughout the night.
Cocktail Recipes for Your Harlem Nights Party
Get the party going with our must-try signature cocktails for your Harlem Nights event! Check out these simple and delicious recipes to get started.
The Charleston Fizz: Combine gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, and seltzer in a shaker. Shake well and pour into a chilled glass of crushed ice. Add a lemon slice for garnish.
The Gatsby: Mix together gin, sugar, lime juice and Angostura bitters with ice in a shaker. Shake until the contents are combined and strain into a chilled martini glass. Add cherry or lime wedge for garnish.
The Harlem Martini: Add bourbon, sweet vermouth, and orange liqueur to a shaker with ice. Shake until combined and strain into a chilled martini glass. Add an orange twist for garnish.
The Cotton Club Cooler: Blend together peach schnapps, vodka, and orange juice in a blender. Pour into a glass of ice and top off with club soda. Add an wedge of lime or sprig of mint for garnish.
Harlem Nights Theme Party Food Ideas
No Harlem Night Party is complete without delicious food. Think about serving serving hors d'oeuvres like shrimp cocktail, deviled eggs, and cheese straws which were popular during that era. For dessert, you can't go wrong with classic treats like cupcakes, macarons, and petit fours.
Harlem Nights Party Games and Entertainment
It's important to create an atmosphere where your guests can let loose and have fun. Think about incorporating a few classic party games like charades, karaoke and trivia for them to enjoy. You could also hire a live jazz or swing band to provide some great music for everyone to dance the night away!
Or what about getting a professional to teach everyone the Charleston and other popular dance moves from that era.
A Harlem Nights party is a perfect way to celebrate a milestone or just to have a good time while enjoying the glamour of the 1920s. With these tips and ideas, you'll be sure to throw a successful event that your guests will love.