If you’re looking for a unique twist on your next college party or freshers party, an “Anything But Clothes” party is it! This creative idea encourages guests to get creative by making clothing out of anything but clothes.
From paper towels to plastic bags, the sky’s the limit when it comes to what you can create. Here’s how you can throw the perfect Anything But Clothes party.
What is an Anything But Clothes (ABC) Party?
You have probably heard of an ABC party but if you haven’t, an Anything But Clothes party is exactly what it sounds like. Guests are encouraged to construct an outfit from anything other than actual clothing or fabrics, such as paper bags, newspapers, plastic wrap or even duct tape. This creative challenge encourages guests to be resourceful and get creative with their fashion ensembles!
Before the party, it’s best to give guests a heads up about the dress code. Let guests know that they are encouraged, but not required, to come in outfits made from Anything But Clothes.
Make sure to provide materials for those who want to participate, such as paper towels, plastic wrap and newspaper.
(THIS POST CONTAINS SOME AFFILIATE LINKS FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE: READ MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY)
Anything But Clothes Party Tips
If you are planning an ABC party , here are a few tips for ensuring that your event is a success.
Set The Ground Rules
The first step in throwing an Anything But Clothes party is to set some ground rules. Let your guests know that they must create their outfit using only non-clothing items.
You can also encourage them to include accessories such as hats and jewelry, as long as they are made from non-clothing materials too. Limiting the material available will make sure that everyone has a chance to shine with their creativity.
Having a few supplies on hand for your guests can help make sure that everyone is able to participate in the fun. Have a variety of materials such as newspaper, aluminum foil, paper towels, plastic bags, duct tape and markers available so that no one is stuck without a costume.
You can also provide glue sticks and scissors so that people are able to craft their outfit together more easily.
Encouraging participation is key when throwing an Anything But Clothes Party! To get everyone in on the fun, set up activities throughout the evening like an impromptu fashion show or even a contest where each guest votes on who had the most creative costume of the night! Awarding prizes like gift cards or small trinkets are great incentive for participation too!
What to Wear at an Anything But Clothes Party
If you are looking for some ideas on what to wear to an Anything But Clothes Party, the sky is truly the limit! Let your imagination run wild and don’t be afraid to get creative with your outfit! Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Trash Bags – You can make a cute dress out of a trash bag or tie it up into a tee shirt.
- Newspaper – Cut out a pattern for a skirt or create a bow tie with newspaper.
- Paper Towels – You can make some great earrings and even a tasseled dress from paper towels!
- Plastic Wrap – Wrap yourself in plastic wrap to create a dress or top or you can even make bracelets or accessories.
- Bubble Wrap – This one is similar to plastic wrap. You can create all sorts of things from bubble wrap, from hair accessories to skirts.
- Duct Tape – Make a dress or shirt out of duct tape by cutting it into strips and attaching them together.
- Tin Foil – Create a top or skirt out of tinfoil or you can make a tinfoil hat to complete your outfit.
- Gift Wrap – Find a thick roll of gift wrap and wrap yourself up like a present. You can even add a cute bow in your hair to complete the look.
- Towel -Wrap a towel around you and you have an instant outfit for the party. Remember to wear something underneath!
- Sheets – For an easy ABC costume idea, grab an old sheet and make a toga or dress!
- Shower Curtain – Cut a few holes in a shower curtain and you can walk right into the Anything But Clothes party looking like an Egyptian Pharaoh!
- Fake flowers and leaves – Get creative with fake flowers and leaves to make a top and skirt, a wreath or even just a cute headband.
- Balloons – Create a dress, skirt or top out of balloons. You can even fill them with helium and make a balloon bouquet!
- Cardboard Boxes – Cut out arm holes and you have an instant cardboard box costume. You can go as a robot, knight or even a superhero!
- Tissue Paper – Layer several colors of tissue paper to make a skirt or dress.
- Ribbon – Make a tutu by wrapping ribbon around your waist and attaching it with safety pins.
Other Fun Ideas for Anything But Clothes Party Outfits
Here are some other items that you can use to make fun outfits for your Anything But Clothes party. Add these items to the ideas above to create something special.
- String Lights
- Tissue Paper
- Fabric Paint
- Old Records
- Toilet Paper Rolls
- Plastic Cups or Plates
An Anything But Clothes party is a great way to switch things up and have some fun with your friends and family! With just a few simple steps you’ll be well on your way to throwing an unforgettable event that will have everyone talking about it for weeks after! So grab some supplies, invite your guests and get ready for one of the most unique parties you’ll ever throw!