Kids love ice cream sandwiches because they’re delicious and fun to make. You can put any kind of ice cream you want between the cookies, so everyone can choose their favorite flavor. Plus, it’s a great way to use up leftover cookies and ice cream.
Ice cream sandwiches are a great summertime treat! They are easy to make and can be customized to everyone's favorite flavors. This recipe is for a classic ice cream sandwich, but feel free to get creative with your ice cream and your toppings. The possibilities are endless!
(THIS POST CONTAINS SOME AFFILIATE LINKS FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE: READ MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY)
Ingredients Needed to Make these Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 tub of your favorite ice cream
- 16 Store-bought M&M’s cookies
- Mini chocolate chips
- Coconut flakes
- Sliced almonds
- Walnut pieces
How to make the DIY Easy Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Let the ice cream soften for a few minutes so it’s easier to work with.
- Use a knife to spread the softened ice cream onto one cookie.
- Top with another cookie and press down gently so the ice cream comes to the edges of the cookies.
- Roll the edges of the sandwich in sprinkles, chopped nuts, or mini chocolate chips.
- If it doesn’t seem to stick, use your hand to press the topping onto the ice cream.
- Place the finished ice cream sandwich on a cookie sheet covered with a piece of parchment paper.
Put in the freezer for 10-20 minutes to harden.
Eat immediately or store in the freezer for later, best to wrap each ice cream sandwich in a piece of parchment paper and place in a freezer ziplock bag.
When you are ready to have one, place it on a plate at room temperature for a few minutes before eating, as the cookies will be hard.
These easy ice cream sandwiches are great for any summer party, when having a backyard camp out, having these for the kids and tweens will be welcomed treat!
These easy chipwich ice cream sandwiches are a fun and delicious treat that the whole family will love! Customize them with your favorite flavors and toppings can be customize for any party or holiday like 4th of July change the sprinkles to red white and blue, for Christmas change them to green and red, Enjoy!
Recipe notes and tips:
While the recipe is straightforward, it is always nice to have a few different tips and suggestions to make things easier. So here are some of the recipe notes and tips to help you out:
- At any time while making the sandwiches the ice cream seems to have melted, place the ice cream and the semi-completed or fully completed cookie sandwiches back in the freezer to harden
- To make things easier, use a small ice cream scoop to scoop the ice cream onto the cookies. This will help keep the ice cream from melting and making a mess.
- If you are using sprinkles, chopped nuts, or mini chocolate chips as a topping, it is best to put them on a plate or shallow bowl. This will make it easier to roll the edges of the sandwich in the topping.
- If you want to store these chipwich ice cream cookie sandwich for later, place them in an airtight container in the freezer. They will be good for up to 2 weeks.
- When you are ready to eat, let the sandwich sit out for a few minutes so it is easier to bite into. Or, microwave for 5-10 seconds to soften the ice cream.
With these tips in mind, you should be able to make this recipe with ease. So go ahead and give it a try! Enjoy!
Variations to try:
Like with many recipes there will always be variations to try. Here are a few suggestions.
- Add a layer of fruit preserves or chocolate sauce in between the cookies for an extra special treat.
- Different topping ideas: butterscotch chips, Fruity or Cocoa Pebbles cereal, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, crushed Oreo cookies, graham cracker pieces with mini marshmallows, Reese’s Pieces, Raisins, Dried cranberries, Macadamia nuts, Sour Patch Kids, Swedish Fish.
- For a fun presentation, try using different shaped cookies such as star or heart shaped.
- Get creative with your toppings! In addition to the ones listed in the recipe, you could also try: chopped up candy bars, crushed up graham crackers, or even crumbled cake.
Like with any recipe, there are often questions that need answering. I thought I would share some of the common questions here, but if you have any comments or questions please don't hesitate to get in touch directly.
How long do these ice cream sandwiches last?
If stored in an airtight container, they will be good for up to 2 weeks.
Can I make these ahead of time?
Yes, you can make these ahead of time and store them in the freezer until ready to eat.
Do I need to use a special cookie for this recipe?
No, you can use any type of cookie that you like.
Can I use a different flavor of ice cream?
Yes, you can use any flavor of ice cream that you like. Some great flavor combinations include: mint chocolate chip ice cream with chocolate cookies, strawberry ice cream with vanilla cookies, or even pumpkin spice ice cream with gingerbread cookies.
Can I change up the toppings?
Yes, you can get creative with the toppings! In addition to the ones listed in the recipe, you could also try: chopped up candy bars, crushed up graham crackers, or even crumbled cake.
As you can see, there are many possibilities when it comes to these easy ice cream sandwiches. So have fun with it and enjoy!
These Ice Cream sandwiches are the perfect treat for any occasion! They are easy to make and can be customized with different flavors of ice cream, cookies, and toppings. Plus, they are sure to please a crowd. So next time you need a quick party snack or sweet treat after school or on a hot summer day, give these Ice Cream sandwiches a try! You won't regret it.