Remember when you were in younger and were rockin' out to the Spice Girls, NSYNC, and Backstreet Boys? It was a great time for pop music! Take a trip down memory lane with these fun 90s music trivia questions. Whether you're a die-hard fan or just want to learn more about the decade's biggest hits, this post is sure to make you smile. Let the nostalgia begin!
If you want to take your party up a notch, there’s nothing better than a fun game of trivia! And if you and your friends are 90s babies, then a 90s music trivia game is the perfect choice. So, let’s get started and learn how to make and set up the perfect 90s music trivia game for your next get together.
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
Before you can start setting up your game, you’ll need some supplies. First things first, you’ll need pens or pencils for all of your participants. You’ll also want something to write the questions on. You can use poster boards or whiteboards,as well as markers or chalk. Or you can purchase a ready made Music Trivia Game and print out enough copies for each guest or group.
It is also helpful to have a timer handy so that everyone can keep track of their time limit. Lastly, don’t forget some snacks and drinks and they always make the game more enjoyable!
Step 2: Choose Your Music
Now that you have everything you need, it’s time to choose the music and questions for your trivia game. Pick at least 10 songs from the 90s that everyone knows – think “Baby one more time,” “Wannabe,” or “Waterfalls." Make sure they are popular and recognizable by people who were born in the 90s!
Once you have chosen all of your songs, write down 3-4 questions about each song. For example you could ask who was the lead singer, what are the words to the entire chorus or what year was it released?
Step 3: Set Up Your Game
Once you have all of your supplies ready and chosen 10 songs with their respective questions written down on separate cards or posters/whiteboards, now it is time for the fun part,setting up your game!
Divide everyone into two teams of equal numbers (make sure no one gets left out!). Each team should stand in front of their own board/poster with their supplies in hand. When everyone is ready, turn on one of your chosen songs and give each team 30 seconds to answer as many questions correctly as they can before moving onto the next song. The team with the most correct answers at the end wins!
90s Trivia Questions
If you need some help getting started with your questions, here are some examples of 90s music trivia questions:
- What year was "...Baby One More Time" released? 1999
- Who was the lead singer of NSYNC? Justin Timberlake
- What was the name of the Spice Girls' debut album? "Spice"
- What rapper was featured on Will Smith's hit "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It"? Kool Moe Dee
- Who had the hit single “Livin’ La Vida Loca”? Ricky Martin
- Who sang “I Want it That Way”? The Backstreet Boys
- What artist released the song “Crazy” in 1994? Seal
- Name the singer who popularized the song “Baby One More Time”? Britney Spears
- TWhat boy band released their debut album "Millennium" in 1999? NSYNC
- Which group popularized “Wannabe” in 1996? Spice Girls
- What artist released their debut album "Jagged Little Pill" in 1995? Alanis Morissette
- Who sang "No Scrubs"? TLC
- Who sang “Smells Like Teen Spirit” ? Nirvana
- In which year was the band Blink 182 formed ? 1992
- What was the name of Nirvana's breakout hit in 1991? Smells Like Teen Spirit
- What was the name of TLC's 1995 hit single that became one of the best-selling singles of all time? Waterfalls
- Who sang the 1997 hit single "Mo Money Mo Problems" with Puff Daddy? The Notorious B.I.G.
- What was the name of the 1993 album by Snoop Doggy Dogg that launched his career? Doggystyle
- What was the name of the boy band that formed in 1993 and released the hit single "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)" in 1996? Backstreet Boys
- Who sang the 1995 hit single "Gangsta's Paradise" that was featured in the film Dangerous Minds? Coolio
- What was the name of the 1996 album by Jay-Z that featured the hit single "Can't Knock the Hustle"? Reasonable Doubt
Finish the Song Lyrics
Another fun way to play a 90s music trivia game is to play "finish the lyrics." Play a few seconds of a popular 90s song and have teams try to guess the next line of the lyrics. Or you can write out the first part of the lyrics and ask each team to complete the next line. For example:
- I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world... Life in plastic, it's fantastic (from "Barbie Girl" by Aqua)
- "I want it that way, tell me why..." Ain't nothin' but a heartache(from "I Want It That Way" by Backstreet Boys)
- Don't go chasing waterfalls, please stick to... The rivers and the lakes that you're used to (from "Waterfalls" by TLC)
- I don't wanna wait for our lives to be over, I want to know right now, what will it be... I don't wanna wait for our lives to be over, will it be yes or will it be sorry (from "I Don't Want to Wait" by Paula Cole)
- Life is a highway, I want to ride it all night long... If you're going my way, I want to drive it all night long (from "Life is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane)
- "I'll be there for you, when the rain starts to pour..." I'll be there for you (from the "Friends" theme song "I'll Be There For You" by The Rembrandts)
- Quit playin' games with my heart... Before you tear us apart (from "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)" by Backstreet Boys)
- Do you Believe in life after love... I can feel something inside me say (from "Believe" by Cher)
- Mmm bop, ba duba dop ba du bop, ba duba dop ba du bop, ba duba dop ba du... Oh Yeah (from "MMMBop" by Hanson)
- I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt, so...Sexy it hurts (from "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred)
- I want you to know that I'm happy for you, I wish nothing but...the best for you both (from "Nothing Compares 2U" by Sinead O'Connor
- Every night in my dreams, I see you, I feel you...That is how I know you go on (from "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion)
- As long as you love me, I'll be your platinum, I'll be your silver, I'll be your gold...As long as you love me (from "As Long As You Love Me" by Backstreet Boys)
How well did you do on our 90s music trivia questions? There's no denying that 1990s music was full of catchy tunes, and there are plenty more where these came from. So if you enjoyed testing your knowledge here, check out some more trivia questions - or better yet, go back and listen to some of your favorite songs! You won't regret it. Happy jamming!
More Fun Party Game Ideas:
Looking for some more retro fun? Check out these 80s party games that will have you and your friends laughing all night long. From classic games to new hilarious party games, we've got everything you need to throw the ultimate 80s bash. Don't forget to bust out the neon colors and legwarmers!
Looking for a fun new way to play drinking games? Add cornhole to the mix! These easy-to-learn cornhole drinking games are perfect for any party. Learn how to play and get ready for hours of fun. Cheers!