It’s that time of year again! The holidays are upon us and that means it’s time to start planning a Christmas party. Christmas parties really are a time-honored tradition for teenagers. They provide a chance to let loose and have fun with friends, without the pressures of school or work. And of course, there’s always the excitement of receiving presents.
For many teens, Christmas parties are the highlight of the holiday season. They offer a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, and a chance to enjoy the company of friends and loved ones.
So if you’re looking for some festive and fun ideas to get your party started, look no further. Here are some ideas for an unforgettable Christmas party that your friends will be talking about long after the last piece of gingerbread is eaten.
(THIS POST CONTAINS SOME AFFILIATE LINKS FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE: READ MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY)
Teen Christmas Party Themes
It is always fun to set a theme for your Christmas party. It is one of the best ways to get everyone in the holiday spirit. A theme can help to set the tone for your party and give your guests a sense of what to expect. It can also be a lot of fun to plan decorations, food, and activities around a central theme.
Teenagers are not content with boring party themes so here are some that are sure to be a hit:
- Winter Wonderland – Transform your home into a wintery paradise with snowflake decorations, white balloons and fake snow. Serve hot drinks and yummy treats like peppermint bark and candy canes for guests to enjoy.
- Ugly Christmas Sweater – Encourage all of your guests to wear their ugliest Christmas sweaters! This is a fun and affordable Christmas party theme and makes for great photo opportunities! Be sure to give out awards for the ugliest, most creative and most outrageous sweaters.
- Holiday Movie Marathon – Set up a comfy area in your living room with pillows and blankets. Then have everyone pick their favorite holiday movie to watch together. Serve popcorn and snacks or even a Christmas Charcuterie Board for an old-fashioned movie night.
- Christmas Gift – This is a unique party theme as everyone has to come dressed as a Christmas gift. They can wrap themselves in Christmas paper or put bows and ribbons in their hair.
- Holiday Karaoke – This is sure to get everyone in the mood for Christmas cheer! Set up a karaoke machine and have guests take turns singing their favorite holiday songs. Give out awards for the best performance, worst performance, and most enthusiastic singer.
- White Glow Party – For a fun twist, ask your guest to come all dressed in white for a White Christmas Party. Have white party decorations and fake snow. Then set up a black light so that everyone’s white clothing will glow. Hand out glow sticks and festive balloons.
- Christmas Gifts Exchange – Have your guests bring a wrapped gift to exchange with each other. You can set a price limit, or just let everyone bring whatever they want. A White Elephant gift exchange is a great way to get everyone into the giving spirit of Christmas.
- Secret Santa – Pick names out of a hat and have each person buy one present for the person whose name they drew. It’s an inexpensive way to make sure everyone gets a gift.
Simple Teen Christmas Party Ideas
With the right theme and decorations, the simplest of Christmas parties can be turned into a fun and memorable event.
- Set up a hot cocoa station that your guests can customize with their favorite add-ins like mini marshmallows, candy canes, and sprinkles.
- Break out the board games or organize a holiday-themed scavenger hunt for your guests to enjoy.
- Have everyone bring a gift for a White Elephant Gift exchange at the end of the night.
- Play the Saran Wrap Ball game. Give it a Christmas twist by including small festive gifts in each layer.
- Set up a DIY photo booth with plenty of props like Santa hats, reindeer antlers, and festive sweaters. Let your guests snap away. They’ll have a blast taking silly photos with their friends, and you’ll end up with some great memories (and maybe even a few funny social media posts).
- Have a ugly sweater contest . . . or better yet, make your own! This is always a popular activity at holiday parties, so why not get in on the fun? You can either have a contest to see who can find/make the ugliest sweater, or provide materials for everyone to make their own creation. Either way, it’s sure to be a good time (and provide lots of laughs).
- For an extra festive touch, provide each guest with a pair of antler headbands or Santa hats to wear throughout the night.
More Teen Christmas Party Ideas
If you’re looking for something a bit more elaborate, these fancier ideas will be sure to impress your guests.
- Throw a themed holiday dinner party with classic dishes like roasted turkey and mashed potatoes. Ask your guests to come dressed in their fancy clothes
- Create a festive outdoor movie night with an inflatable projector and hot cocoa bar.
- Have everyone write down their favorite Christmas memory or wish for the year in a festive time capsule that can be opened next Christmas.
- Organize a holiday-themed escape room for your guests to complete.
- Throw a Christmas-themed murder mystery party where everyone has to dress up in costume and work together to solve the mystery.
- Host a festive holiday dance party and have your guests come dressed as their favorite characters from movies, books, or TV shows
- Have a Christmas Pajama party and tell your guests to turn up in their favorite festive PJs. Serve pancakes with all the toppings and delicious hot chocolate.
- Get everyone in the holiday spirit with some fun Christmas games. Try a festive twist on classics like charades or pictionary, or go all out with a competitive game of gingerbread house decorating or wrapping paper relay race.
- Serve up some tasty holiday treats. No party is complete without food, so make sure to have plenty of snacks and drinks on hand. Sweet treats like candy canes, cookies, and hot chocolate are always popular, or you could go savory with Christmas-themed appetizers like mini sausage rolls shaped like reindeer or veggie trays decorated like wreaths.
- Give out some fun prizes. For added fun (and competition), give out prizes for things like best dressed, most creative game face, or best dancer. Everyone loves getting recognition for their efforts, and it’ll make your party even more memorable.
- Deck the halls (or walls). Get everyone in the decorating spirit by having a contest to see who can come up with the most creative Christmas decoration using only materials found around the house. The winner gets bragging rights and a prize, of course!
- Make it an annual tradition! Once you’ve planned the perfect party, don’t let all your hard work go to waste—make it an annual tradition that your friends look forward to every year! That way you can start planning next year’s bash as soon as this one is over
These are just some ideas for an unforgettable Christmas party that your friends will be talking about long after the night is over. With a little creativity and some festive cheer, you can create an event that your friends will never forget. Merry Christmas!