You know the drill. You're sitting around the Thanksgiving table, trying to make small talk with your extended family. But somehow, the conversation always turns to that one controversial topic that you're all better off avoiding. This year, beat the awkward silence with one of these conversation starters.
Family Thanksgiving Conversation Starters
The holidays are a time for family, friends, and loved ones to get together and celebrate. For many people, Thanksgiving is the perfect opportunity to catch up with loved ones and make cherished memories. However, sometimes it can be difficult to keep the conversation flowing. If you're looking for some family conversation starters this Thanksgiving, here are a few ideas to get you started. You can either use this list, make your own or print out our Thanksgiving Conversation Starter Cards.
- What are your favorite Thanksgiving Traditions?
- What food do you always make sure to include for Thanksgiving Dinner?
- What activities do they enjoy doing on Thanksgiving Day?
- What are you thankful for this year?
- What Christmas Traditions do you have?
- What are your New Year's Resolutions?
- What have you been binge-watching on Netflix lately?
- Do you have any fun plans for the holidays?
- Who do you think will win the Super Bowl this year?
- What was the best part of your Thanksgiving holiday?
- What are your plans for the rest of the holiday weekend?
- What do you want to get at Black Friday shopping?
- Have you started any Christmas shopping?
- What is your least favorite thing about the holiday season?
- What are your plans for Christmas this year?
- Do you have any big plans for New Year's Eve this year?
- Have you ever stuck to a resolution for an entire year?
Kids Thanksgiving Conversation Starters
Let the kids join in the conversation this Thanksgiving by asking them some of these questions:
- What was your best/worst Christmas present ever?
- What's the best vacation you've ever been on?
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
- Do you prefer cats or dogs?
- Have you started decorating for Christmas yet?
- What is your favorite Christmas decoration?
- What is your favorite Christmas food?
- What did you do for New Year's Eve last year?
- What is your favorite Thanksgiving food?
- What is your favorite thing about Thanksgiving?
- What are some of the things you are looking forward to doing over the Thanksgiving break?
- What are some of the traditions your family has for Thanksgiving?
- How do you help out with preparing for Thanksgiving dinner?
- What do you like to do after Thanksgiving dinner?
- What are some of the things you are thankful for from this past year?
- What are some of your goals for next year?
- What are some of the things you would like to do differently next year?
- What are some of the things you are most looking forward to next year?
- Who is someone you are extra thankful for this year and why?
Thanksgiving Party Conversation Starters
Whether it is an office party, Friendsgiving celebration, Church gathering or a get together with neighbors, it can sometimes be hard to know what to talk about at Thanksgiving parties. Keep the conversation going with these fun questions.
- What is your favorite thing about Thanksgiving?
- What dish do you like to bring to a potluck?
- If you could celebrate Thanksgiving anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
- What is the most meaningful thing you have done this year?
- What new tradition would you like to start?
- Do you have any special holiday recipes that you bring out each year?
- Which of your family members do you think does the best job of hosting the Thanksgiving dinner?
- What are some of the best memories you have from past Thanksgivings?
- What are some of the funniest moments from Thanksgiving dinners with your family?
- What do you appreciate most about your family and friends?
- Are there any fun activities that you like to do at home or in your community during the holiday season?
- What is the best piece of advice that you have ever received?
- What are some of your favorite holiday movies or TV shows?
- What do you think is the most important thing to remember during the holidays?
- What should everyone be thankful for this season?
- If you could invite any famous person to your Thanksgiving dinner, who would it be?
- What do you think is the most underrated part of Thanksgiving?
- How has your definition of gratitude changed over the years?
- What is one thing that you are thankful for this year that you weren’t grateful for last year?
- How do you like to give back during the holidays?
Funny Conversation Starters
If you are looking to liven up the conversation try these funny Thanksgiving questions.
- If you were a Turkey, what would your name be?
- Would you swim in a pool filled with gravy or filled with cranberry sauce?
- If you were in a food fight, what Thanksgiving food would you throw first?
- Which cartoon character would be the best Thanksgiving guest and why?
- What is the most outrageous thing that has ever happened to you at a Thanksgiving dinner?
- What would be on your ultimate Thanksgiving dessert plate?
- If you had to rename Thanksgiving, what would you call it instead?
- Who would win in an eating contest between Santa and a Turkey?
- How early do you start Christmas shopping and why?
No matter how old you are or how well you know your family, Thanksgiving can sometimes be awkward. Beat the silence this year with one of these conversation starters. From Netflix to the Super Bowl, there's bound to be a topic that everyone can agree on - even if it is just complaining about Grandma's dry turkey!
More Fun Party Game Ideas:
Step-by-step instructions on how to play the cornhole drinking game. This is a great party game for all ages! Perfect game for your Thanksgiving celebrations.
Looking for a fun Thanksgiving game to keep the family entertained? Try this Thanksgiving themed Pictionary game! It's perfect for all ages and is sure to get everyone in the holiday spirit. Plus, it's easy to set up - just download the printable sheet and you're ready to go!